Monday, December 19, 2011

Rigatoni

Besides homemade pizza, this is my most requested dish in our house.

Warning...this recipe may be difficult to follow or understand because I do NOT measure when I cook. Most recipes I can estimate on the amounts, however this one I add or don't add based on who I am cooking for, on smell, and on taste! But if your willing to take the chance, I promise you and your family won't regret making this recipe!

This dish is great to eat the day of, or if you like to plan ahead, make it 1-2 days, and store in refrigerator.

Ingredients

1 pound ground Italian sausage, mild or hot
1 pound ground beef
1/4 - 1 pound pepperoni (amount based on preference. Our family prefers Dietz Watson Pepperoni Sticks found at Albertsons in the deli department )
1/2 to ? garlic, minced (amount based on preference)
28-48 oz tomatoes, (type and amount based on preference. Most of our family are not fans of tomatoes so we use 2- 28 oz cans of crushed tomatoes.)
6  oz tomato paste
1/2 - 1 tsp Italian seasoning
1/2 - 1 tsp Thyme, dried
1/4 - 1 tsp Oregano, dried
1/4 - 1 tsp Sage, dried
Salt
Pepper
Sugar
1 - 2 pound Rigatoni Pasta *Use less pasta if you prefer meaty dish

Directions

Brown Italian sausage and ground beef.
I like to add a bit of seasoning to my meat as it's cooking, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4-1/2 tsp Italian seasoning, 1/4 tsp garlic powder.
Drain grease.
Slice pepperoni to bite size pieces. Add to browned meat. *You may need to drain off additional grease.
Add garlic.
Add canned tomatoes, ONE can at a time, stir in, Add additional cans until sauce is the consistency you prefer.
Add tomato paste, if needed (I find that if I use crushed tomatoes I don't usually need to use paste).
Add seasonings, salt and pepper. *If you use seasoned tomatoes and paste, you may want to reduce amount of seasoning!
Simmer on low for 15-20 minutes.
TASTE sauce, if bitter add sugar, 1/2 tsp at a time, as needed.

Boil pasta as directed. *For those who have little mouths to feed, we find using Penne pasta works best for those 'little' mouths.

Serve sauce over pasta, top with grated Parmesan cheese.

To bake: place pasta in bottom of large baking dish, pour sauce over the top, and store in refrigerator up to 2 days. Bake at 350 degrees 30-45 minutes or until center is hot.


No comments:

Post a Comment