I have marionberries and blueberries in my freezer and a bowl full of lemons, so I thought I'd put them to use today! I doubled the below recipe, so my notes reflect what I did for a double recipe.
- 1 cups flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- lemon zest*
- 3/4 cup berries, cleaned and cut if needed**
* I use 1 lemons for zest.
**Can use fresh or frozen. If using frozen I suggest defrosting them first, draining excess juice, and coating in small amount of flour.
- Preheat the oven to 400° F.
- Line muffin pan with paper liners.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt with wire whisk.
- Make a well in the center of dry ingredients and add buttermilk, oil, extract and eggs. Stir just until combined.
- Fold in berries.
- Fill muffin liners 2/3 full with batter.
- Bake for 22- 25 minutes for muffins or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from muffin tray and cool on a rack.