Saturday, December 15, 2012

Cranberry-Orange Bread

Because I was too lazy to run to the store to get some missing ingredients to make scones, AND it seemed like every recipe I came across for bread/ muffins/ scones, called for craisins, I took my chances on making up my own recipe.

A few notes:
  • I did add vanilla into my loaf, although after I added it, realized it wasn't needed due to using the juice of an orange. Feel free to add it if you'd like. I used 1 tsp.
  • I am pretty sure the oil could be reduced or even eliminated, but I was afraid I didn't have enough liquid (moisture) so I added it.
  • For the flour measurement, you may notice that 2 cups may be too much. I recommend adding 1/2 cup of flour at a time. My batch of dough at 1 1/2 cups was close to the right consistency, so I added another 1/2 cup, and after it had baked I realized it may have been just a tad much (that or I cooked it for a few minutes too long)
  • I am pretty sure this recipe will be modified as I make additional batches, but if anyone attempts it or has any recommendations, I would love to hear what you did!

Ingredients

1 1/2 cups fresh cranberries, rinsed and chopped
1 medium orange, zest and juice
3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup milk
2 eggs
1 1/2 to 2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder

Directions

Makes 1 loaf.
Move oven rack to low position so that tops of pans will be in center of oven. Heat oven to 350ºF. Grease loaf pans, and set aside. 


In mixing bowl combine cranberries, orange zest, and sugar.
*This isn't necessary, but how I did the next step* In liquid measuring cup, squeeze orange over strainer, add enough milk to orange juice to equal 1/2 cup, add about 1/3 cup oil. Total liquid should equal 2/3 cup. Add to cranberry mixture.
Slight beat eggs and add to cranberry mixture.
Mix well.

Add soda, salt, and baking powder. 
Slowly add flour, mix well.
Pour into pan.

Bake 50 to 60 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes. Loosen sides of loaves from pans; remove from pans and place top side up on wire rack. 

*For muffins (12) Bake at 375 for about 20-25 minutes.

Cool completely. 

Wrap tightly and store at room temperature up to 4 days, or refrigerate up to 10 days.




No comments:

Post a Comment